Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Troubles in paradise

By Britton Taylor

In January Lindsay Pratt left the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, Mass. to study in Florence, Italy for six months. "My first few weeks here were wonderful," said Pratt. "I loved my new home."
But it all changed one night in a bar when a man threatened her with a knife and the Florence police failed to investigate.
Studying abroad is an adventure for many college students. They look forward to learning a new language, being immersed in a new culture and meeting new people. But for some students, their adventure comes with unexpected and sometimes dangerous outcomes.
Hannah Urkowitz, an employee at Florence For Fun, a travel company that connects American students studying abroad in Florence and attempts to provide fun and safe activities, says that bad experiences do happen. “We deal with students who may have had trouble with locals in Florence,” she said. “This semester alone, we have helped five different people contact the Florence police about a situation in which they felt threatened.”
Urkowitz added that there is danger in any major city. “It is just how Americans carry themselves that brings attention,” she said. “When they get drunk, they draw unwanted predators.”
Like many American students studying abroad, Pratt and her friends found solace in a bar in Florence that plays American music; a connection to college life back in the states. "I have gotten to know most of the people that work and frequent there," said Pratt.
One night at the bar, Pratt “let her guard down”, she says, and “drank more than usual.” She began dancing with a man she didn't know. "The Italian men have no respect for American girls, when they dance with you they put their hands all over you and are very inappropriate," she said.
After a few minutes Pratt began to feel uncomfortable and attempted to push him away. "He wouldn't let go of my arm, he held on really tight. Then he let go and I went flying to the floor spilling my drink all over me."
Later Pratt purposely spilt her drink on he man. He grabbed her and threw her against a wall. "All of the sudden, he had me pinned against the wall by my neck and he pulled out a knife. He began screaming and from what I could make out, he was telling me to never come back to the club or he was going to kill me," said Pratt.
Pratt and her friends fled the bar. They dragged a distraught Pratt through the winding streets of Florence to the police station. Five hours passed before an officer finally came to question her.
"At that point I was livid," said Pratt. "I just wanted to get out of there and go home." Pratt filed a report, but the police said there wasn't much they could do without a name or a good description of the man who had assaulted Pratt.
"The police were absolutely no help,” said Pratt. “They acted like they couldn't care less. In reality, I bet they get these situations all the time."
The police sent Pratt home and told her to contact them if she ever saw the man again. Not that she would let that happen. "I am never going back to that bar again, I bought pepper spray to keep with me when I go out," she said.
According to the University of Connecticut’s study abroad office website, the issue of personal safety is discussed when university gives an orientation to students planning on studying abroad. They offer advice such as, “Avoid poorly lit places and walking alone. Stick to well-traveled streets and try to walk in groups at night. Students should be especially cautious when in a new city and not yet sure what parts of town may be less safe.”
University officials also address the issue of alcohol consumption. “Use alcohol sparingly and be aware that drinking even a small amount could increase your vulnerability to crime.” But university officials also acknowledge that the school is not responsible and cannot guarantee the safety of students.
Ronell Hardin, a former student who moved to Seville, Spain for the immediate future, had a similar experience with the police when he was robbed while in the Barcelona airport. "My bag was taken from the seat next to me while I was waiting for my plane," said Hardin. He lost his passport, 1,000 euros and all of his clothes he was carrying with him. "I got up to throw something away for a second and it was gone."
Hardin was convinced that the airport police would be able to help him if he gave a good description of his bright blue backpack. "I frantically ran over to the first cop I saw and explained what had happened," he said. "I thought the least they could do was make an announcement to the airport security so they would look for a person carrying my bag, I gave them a full description of it."
But the police did nothing. In fact, Hardin was reprimanded for not looking after his belongings and for bothering them with such a complaint. "Let's just say, my experience with the Barcelona airport security was less than satisfactory," he said.
While students may find their study abroad experiences tainted by these unwelcome occurrences, “It didn’t make me want to up and move back home,” said Pratt. She will be finishing up her semester in Florence and returning back home in May.
“I am still shaken up, but I am taking it as a learning experience,” she said. “I know to not drink like I am back at home around people I know. You have to be more careful here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment